Makes 1 1kg loaf
120g golden caster sugar
1/2 level tsp salt
360g self-raising flour
1 large egg
125ml full fat milk
50g butter, melted
4 very ripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to fan 170
- Oil a 1kg loaf tin or line with a non-stick liner.
- Mash 2 bananas and cube 2 bananas and set aside separately.
- Measure the sugar, salt and flour into a large bowl and mix.
- In a half litre jug mix the egg, melted butter, milk and mashed bananas.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add the wet ingredients. Mix well, you will get a dough-like mixture, not a cake-like one. Fold in the banana chunks.
- Turn into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake in the oven for 50 min – 1 hour, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes and then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
The loaf is lovely warm by itself, but once thoroughly cooled it’s nicer with a slathering of butter. Goes nicely into lunchboxes too.