For the cakes:
100g self-raising flour
125g softened butter
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
3 level tbsps cocoa
2 tbsps milk
For the icing:
200g sifted icing sugar
150g caster sugar
65ml cold water
125ml double cream
1\2 tsp salt
1\2 tsp vanilla essence
First the caramel:
- Put the caster sugar and the cold water in a small pan over a moderate heat until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir or your sugar will crystallise. Just be patient.
- Turn up the heat and let the mixture boil violently until it turns golden. This usually takes around 10-15 mins.
- Take off the heat and stir in the cream. It may spit – just keep stirring and whisk if necessary to get a smooth caramel.
- Stir in your salt and vanilla and leave to cool.
Second the cakes:
- Line a 16-hole muffin tray with papers & preheat oven to 18o°C.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a bowl, sifting together the flour and cocoa, and beat thoroughly.
- Dollop your mixture into the cases and bake for 12-15 minutes until just firm in the centre.
- Remove from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Third the icing:
- Measure out 125ml of your warm caramel and place in a bowl with the butter.
- Beat them together until smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and combine with a spoon, then beat until smooth.
- Pipe the icing onto the cold cupcakes an decorate as you wish.