40g butter, soft and at room temperature
300g self-raising flour
Fillings: in this instance I used sun-dried tomato paste, cheddar & basil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, rub the butter into the flour.
- Make a well in the middle and add the milk. Mix to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until the ingredients are combined and the dough smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle approx 30cm x 25cm, or around the shape and sixe of a piece of A4 paper.
- Spread the filling over the dough and roll it up tightly, like a Swiss roll.
- Use a large sharp knife to cut the roll into about 10 pieces and arrange on baking paper lined trays.
- Brush rolls with a little milk and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly golden brown.