125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125g self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk
grated rind of 1 large orange
a few tbsp of good quality lemon curd
175g unsalted butter
350g icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a muffin tray.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, flour and milk and beat again.
- Stir in orange rind.
- Divide between the cupcake papers and bake for 12-15 minutes until they spring back in the middle. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the cakes are cold use an apple corer to make a small hole in the centre of each cake and fill this with lemon curd. I found using a piping bag worked best.
- To make the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until thoroughly softened.
- Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and combine.
- Pipe the icing over your completed cakes and decorate as you like!